Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mary Juanita Reneau

I had the privilege of speaking during Grandmother's funeral service yesterday. Here's what I said . . .

"Even though the presidential election is still over a year away, we're already being bombarded by presidential sound bites about values and beliefs. I can't say that I know any of the presidential hopefuls personally but I can say that they could all learn a thing or two from Grandmother about living a life according to values and beliefs.

Regardless if you agreed with Grandmother's values or beliefs, you have to stop for a moment today and recognize the incredible discipline it took for her to live her life day-in, day-out according to what she believed was true. She was, simply put, a woman of conviction.

Every thing she did, she did for a reason. And if you could trace back her steps, you would find that they all led to the same lone driving force in her life - which was to love and serve The Lord as faithfully as she could.

This meant that Grandmother had high expectations not only for herself, but for all of us as well. You always knew where you stood with Grandmother. She had that not-so-subtle way of letting you know that she expected better from you.

She held us accountable because she saw the God-given potential within us. And she knew exactly how to draw that potential out. I can remember staying the weekend with Grandmother when I was young and on one occasion she told me a story on the way to church about how my mom from time to time would have trouble sitting still during the service. Grandmother said that she would just reach over and pinch the back of my mom's arm, 'and that always seemed to settle her down.'

Now, why do you think Grandmother told me that story on our way to church? Needless to say, I was especially attentive that day during service.

And that is exactly the effect a woman of conviction should have on us. She should challenge us. She should draw out the finer qualities within us. She should make us better than we would be without her.

I will always think of Grandmother when I read about Ruth. I love Ruth. Just like Grandmother, she was a faithful woman. A hard worker. A woman of integrity. If fact, scripture tells us that even the other men working the same field as her treated Ruth with respect because they could tell she was 'a woman of noble character.'

And so was my grandmother.

Thinking about Grandmother this week has reminded me that the other women in my life have followed Grandmother's example as well. My mother, my sister and my wife are all, too, women of conviction - living their lives day-in, day-out according to values and beliefs they hold as true. Each in their own way has pushed me to be a better man than the one I would have been otherwise.

By doing so, they continue Grandmother's legacy .

Although Grandmother is gone, I believe I can honor her and continue her legacy by serving and loving The Lord as faithfully as I can and holding true to the same convictions day-in, day-out.

I love my grandmother and will miss her terribly."

9 comments:

Jody said...

What a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Thanks for sharing Wade.

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Well done, my friend.

Casdok said...

Lovely x

Shannon said...

I enjoyed reading that Wade. What a sweet tribute to your grandmother. I was glad to have known her (even if it was just during an interview for a nursing school assigment!).

See-Dub said...

Thanks for sharing. Prayers for your family...

Keri said...

so sweet! She was surely proud of you for that great tribute!

Pearson Family said...

Thank you for sharing that with us! She sounded like a treasure.

Wade said...

Thanks everyone.

It turned out to be a great day for remembering my Grandmother.

W

GliterallyScoot said...

Just saw this...What a great tribute to her memory.