Sunday, October 21, 2007

Prayers For My Family . . .

My 103-year old grandmother passed away today.

It's weird how this is one of those passings that was probably for the best.

Grandmother had not been herself for the past several years. Although she was never diagnosed, I think she suffered from dementia. There were only a few members of our family that she even recognized let alone talked to - I was not one of them.

Physically, however, she was quite healthy for someone having reached the century mark. We actually thought she would pass away a couple years ago when she fell and broke her hip. The decision was made to go ahead with surgery and put a titanium rod in her leg. After the surgery she refused all pain medication!

Talk about one tough grandma!

Grandmother started a fever on Friday and began "shutting down". A nurse was by her side this morning when she took a final deep breath and then slipped away peacefully. She never seemed to be in any pain or discomfort.

Mom seems to be doing well. Even though this was expected it's still hard. My sister and I are taking the lead in organizing the funeral so that Mom and the rest of the family can grieve.

So prayers, if you please. Prayers for my mom and my family. Prayers for this week as we prepare to say good-bye. And, most of all, prayers of praise as my grandmother finally reaches Heaven.

12 comments:

mdlg said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. May God wrap His comfort around your family during this time.

Keri said...

Death, even when expected, is hard for a family. May the next few days go smooth so that your family may heal with one less person in it. Love to you all!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

My condolences, Wade.

Russ

See-Dub said...

Praying for your family...

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you and yours. What an awesome peace to know where she is and know that she, too, is at peace with our Heavenly Father. God bless!
B-Mom & Pop (aka Sharon & Larry)

Jill said...

I'm sorry for your loss Wade. I will be sure to include you all in our prayers.

Casdok said...

Grandparents are very special people. I will send you prayers.

Jody said...

Wade...very sorry to hear about your grandmother. We will pray for your family this week.

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry Wade. Sending prayers your way!!

Wade said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

Your prayers and thoughts mean so much!

W

Anonymous said...

Wade wish we could be there for you and your family. Our prayers, hearts, and thoughts are with you all at this time of loss.

Aunt Barbara and family

Anonymous said...

I am sorry :-(

May your hearts be healing soon, so that the lovely remembrance softens the hurt.
My greatgrandmom was 102 years old and I still miss her, since I was her "special" and she made me feel so loved.

Sending a prayer for your family.