Thursday, December 20, 2007

Grumpy Old Man Incident #1

Searching for a sign of the impending apocalypse? Then look no further than today's teenagers . . . particularly those found in my neighborhood!

Apparently I haven't been taking my medication for my Grumpy Old Man Syndrome because a series of events tonight ended with me standing in the middle of my street and yelling at some local punks.

Instead of trying to explain what happened let me just say that it involved said-hoodlums running out in front of my car on purpose (??????) and me asking in a not-so-polite-infact-quite-aggrevated-and-loud voice to 'please stay on the sidewalk' . . . but not in so many words!

I dunno, maybe stupid is the new cool for kids these days.

I probably wouldn't have twisted off on them so quickly had I not known that these were the same teenagers who have been recently picking on a couple of younger kids on our street.

From there I went to our local shopping mecca and quickly noticed a widespread lack of parental supervision as every teenager born in northeast Tarrant County between 1989 and 1993 was congregating in packs of 20 on the sidewalk - making it quite difficult for me to get by with Tate in his stroller!

I tried to be polite at first: "Excuse us!" "Do you mind if we slip by?"

After a while I discovered a far more efficient phrase: "Make a hole!"

A couple thoughts jumped around in my head as I drove home: (1) I can't possibly be turning into a grumpy old man - I'm only 32! (2) If those punk kids mess with me again I'm gonna ring their necks!

I think it's time for me to go take my medication!

8 comments:

Casdok said...

I think you are right - Stupid is the new cool.
But couldnt they go and do it somewhere else!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hey Wade,

I pray that there will be some common sense from these punks by God's direction in order to make your life easier.

Jody said...

Take some for me. My dog got his butt whipped for the first time I think EVER today!!!! Grrrr. I am tired AND tired of people who have life so care free..... grrrrrrrrrr.

Kids...........
; )
Happy Holiday ... hee hee.
Janell

Hermes said...

Welcome, my friend. Don't fight it. Be at one with grumpiness. It is yor friend. Own it. Buy a cane. Not to walk with, but to shake at hooligans on your lawn! Remember that twenty punks can take down old bears like us. But I'll take ten of them with me, I swear.

Jill said...

LOL Reminds me of the time Mike caught some teenagers stealing one of our pumpkins on Halloween. Before I knew it he had rushed out, snatched up one of the other pumpkins, and was in the middle of the street with it over his head yelling "You want a pumpkin?! Here take this one!" and chunking it after them. He came in cracking up. I thought he was a lunatic. We must have Grumpy Old Man Syndrome here too! :)

Wade said...

Hey Cas,

Going someplace else would be wonderful but that'll never happen because then they wouldn't have an audience to irritate!

I actually thought of you during this little episode. I just happened to be the guy who got to witness their stupidity. But I know that teenagers have been cruel to you and C intentionally (which breaks my heart!) - try Lawn's idea of carrying a cane!
________________________________

You're right, Russ! Heavenly fire from above would do those do-no-good'ers some good!

Or were you referring to something else?
_________________________________

Hey J,

It's people like you who have my undying respect! I could never be an educator for the simple fact that I would start throwing furniture the first time some little pre-teen princess so much as uttered, "omagawd!" in my presence!

Grrrrrrrrr, indeed!
________________________________

Hey Lawn,

Embrace it. Love it. Hug it. Beat 'em over the head with a cane!

When you put it that way, I think I could really dig being a grumpy old man!

Thanks!
_______________________________

JILL!!!!!!

You grace my space! How da' heck are ya'?

I totally understand if you've been too busy to update your blog but don't even think about making us wait 'til December 26th to see pics of your sweet children in full yuletide bliss! I can only imagine what little Callie must be thinking about Christmas!

Tell Mike his outburst worked - I promise not to steal your pumpkins again next year! :)

Great story!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

You're right, Russ! Heavenly fire from above would do those do-no-good'ers some good!

Or were you referring to something else?


Hmm, Wade...

The Lord works in mysterious...;)

GliterallyScoot said...

Working with teenagers on a daily basis, I tend to be a little more patient with them. Although I do fight the urge to shhhhhush kids in public and tell them to pull up their sagging pants!

These kids that ran out in front of you would have put me in full on teacher mode though! Must be related to the kid that played chicken with me the other day. As I was getting into my rental car (parked on the street by Paul and Jenn's house), he flew by me in his car. As I was pulling away from the curb I noticed that he got to the end of the street and made a fast u turn and was coming back towards me. First I noticed that his head was hanging out the window (like he couldn't see out his windshield. Then I noticed how fast he was coming at me and screamed as he jerked the car towards me right before he passed. I thought he was going to hit me head on. As I watched him pass, he flipped me off. I guess the nice rental car offended him somehow... I had half a mind to go scream at him about safe driving!