Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's In A Name?

I’m sure all of us have had our names butchered a time or two by a well-intended, yet completely oblivious, acquaintance.

With a last name like Strzinek, I’m actually impressed if you get it right!

But how hard is it to mess up Wade? I’ve heard Wayne, Dwayne and even Ray – those are somewhat understandable, yet still unacceptable, variations of my name.

But today I got to add a new mis-name to the list. And what is just as funny as the name itself was the total look of surprise by the other person when I didn’t immediately respond.

But why in the world would I respond to the question, “So how was your weekend, Westin?”

Westin? Who’s Westin? Are you talking to me?

She acted as if I was purposely ignoring her! Oh, sorry! But I usually don’t answer to names that aren't mine!

What makes it worse is that I have been handing my business card to this woman every 2 weeks for the past year!

Good to know that I’m appreciated!

I think from now on I'm gonna start calling her Maude!

(No offense to any Maude's out there!)

5 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Strzinek?

From my Canadian perspective with some European influences, it sounds like the possible name of

a) A NHL hockey player from Saskatchewan or Manitoba. This is the most likely with Wade as the given name.

b) A Euro footballer.

c)A president of an Eastern European country.

Blair said...

This made me laugh out loud, it's so funny.

Shannon said...

Westin. I can totally see how she would get it confused with Wade. Totally.

You would think that Bankhead would be easy enough...especially when I say "You know, like bank and head together". I still get "Binghead" and the bewildered look of "What?"

Oh, and in 9th grade, my English teacher pronounced Enright, Onright. I guess she was trying to make it fancier than it was:)

Jody said...

I feel your pain Westin. My name, both first and last, have caused all sorts of confusion over the years. I've had so many people that cannot get past the fact that a guy has a first name of Jody. And my last name...I won't get into the names Bunt has been confused with. This is a family friendly blog.

Hope to see you guys soon...

jb

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Hello Wade:
here is the site...

http://www.blogthings.com/whatsyournameshiddenmeaningquiz/

I thought about putting it in my blog - but it was 1:30 am my time and I was just too tired and forgot! I simply wrote my first and middle name...

Have fun with it ;-)