Friday, September 15, 2006

The Nesting Place, Part I

We're now officially certified to have a baby! Kelly and I graduated birthing class last weekend at The Nesting Place.

I have to admit, going in I wasn’t very excited about the all-day Saturday AND Sunday class – particularly since it was scheduled on the NFL season opening weekend. But after the Cowboys’ 24-17 loss to Jacksonville I can confidently say that I had more fun watching caesarean videos with my wife than I did watching the Cowboys cough up their season debut – well, maybe not.

But I am sure Bill Parcels could have used some of the breathing techniques Kelly and I learned!

Anywho, here’s a quick birthing class recap:

- Birth is beautiful but one ‘show-all’ video is about all I can handle.

- Caesarean birth is just as beautiful . . . but thanks, I’ll pass on the video.

- Kelly made sure that I wasn’t the wiseguy who cracked stupid jokes the entire time . . . as if I would ever do that!!

- In the ‘I didn’t know that!’ Category: I thought an epidural was just a one-time shot – but it’s an actually a catheter . . . I didn’t know that!

- I still haven’t heard a good explanation for how the baby knows to turn upside-down in order to be born. One of God’s little secrets I guess.

- It’s pretty ironic that we say a pregnant woman is “expecting” because when it comes to the actual labor and delivery she can never really know what to expect.

- Part of the class was a tour of the Maternity Ward at Baylor Grapevine – I hope we can get one of the cool birthing room suites - very nice! Although it could use a bigger TV.

- Unexpected extra that was free of charge: Kelly and I made new friends – Scott & Jennifer. We have lots in common: We both go to Dr. Cope. We both had miscarriages last year. We both drive Honda Pilots. We both worry about how our co-dependant dogs will adjust to the new baby. They live just south of 170 & Alta Vista – we live just north of 170 & Alta Vista. But the craziest of all, Scott and I wear the exact same New Balance tennis shoes . . . I know, freaky weird!

- My biggest concern coming out of the class: How in the world am I going to remember everything I just learned and still be of any use to Kelly in 3 months?

So, all in all, it turned out to be a pretty good weekend . . . despite Drew Bledsoe’s 3 interceptions!

Stay tuned to Part II: The Breast-Feeding Class.

My prediction: This will be the most excruciatingly awkward 4 hours of my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just be prepared to take your shirt off at the breast feeding class..."you can milk anything with nipples."

Just look straight ahead...don't look around or you could make eye contact.

No giggling!

Have Fun!

Brad

txmommy34 said...

Don't worry if you don't remember anything. I didn't, and the nurses are wonderful in labor and delivery. I'm so excited for ya'll and am praying right now for an easy experience. I'm sure Randy has some funny bit of advice to pass on. I'm just here for the "motherly" reassurance that God is there in it all and He designed Kelly's body to do this. He also blessedly gave someone the awesome idea of an epidural! :)
Oh, and it is embarrassing to have to take your shirt off in bfeeding class, but just think how embarrassed poor Kelly will be! You might want to warn her to wear a sports bra to that one! ;P

Shannon said...

I gave our breastfeeding class the title "Nipples from all nations". Have fun!

You might want to have a friend call you right when the video starts that way you have an excuse to leave! Kelly will be mad that I put that idea in your head, sorry!

Anonymous said...

Take my shirt off, huh?

I suppose you all would suggest that I should just save time and walk in shirtless!

I'm not falling for that one!