Sunday, September 10, 2006

QOTW Results

“If you had to choose one, which could you NOT do without? Your TV or your computer?

Total votes: 17
Your TV: 5 votes, 29%
Your computer: 12 votes, 70%

We’ve come a long way since the Commodore 64. But I have to agree, I’m not sure what I would do without my laptop. Nobody believed 25 years ago that the personal computer would replace the television set - other than some guy named Gates.

By the way, do you remember how Commodore 64 got its name? It had 64 KB of memory!! Only 64 KB!! Apparently Commodore Business Machines were so proud of thier crowning achievement of somehow cramming 64 KB into one machine that they had to incorporate it as part of the name!

Let me put it this way: 1 MB = 1024 KB - which is 16 times the amount of space in a Commodore 64. A standard CD-RW has 700 MB. So if my fuzzy math is correct then your one CD-RW holds 11,200 times the memory of one Commodore 64 . . . and somehow they sold over 17 million of these guys?!?

When Commodore 64’s were first introduced in 1982 they were sold for $595 – or, considering inflation, around $1,200 in today’s money!!!

$1,200 today will buy you very nice LCD HDTV or notebook computer with a little more than just 64 KB of memory! We have come a long way!

For the 5 who voted for their TV, my next question is just for you!

No comments: