Sunday, September 17, 2006

One Man's Junk, Another Man's Treasure


There's one reason and one reason only to have a garage sell - to get rid of junk.

You can't have a garage sell in order to make money. Case in point, here are a few of the hot deals going down in my drive way early yesterday morning . . . around 6 AM!!

Nintendo 64 and 12 games (around $500 new): $10
The $200 22-inch TV I bought my sophomore year at ACU: $20
The $150 VCR I bought to go with my TV: $10
Our really nice (and extremely heavy) $500 entertainment center: $40 - yeah, that one hurt!

We got rid of a lot of stuff - but we didn't make much money doing it. I think the final take came to around $140 - which actually isn't too bad for a few hours of work.

I've always felt weird having garage sales. You're basically telling people, "Hey! Come buy junk I don't want anymore!" And when they walk away without buying anything it's hard not to take it personally, "What's the matter? Don't you like my junk? You think your junk is any better?"

The biggest acheivement of the day: Now that we are a one TV family (gasp!), Kelly has agreed to purchasing a new TV for our new armoire!! Whoo-hoo!

But here's where I need everybody's help. Somebody please tell Kelly that it is a waste of money to purchase a HDTV without purchasing the HDTV package from Dish Network!!

2 comments:

tara said...

I am all for the HD package - the discovery channel in HD makes it all worth the extra money!

Anonymous said...

Discovery Channel in HD! I didn't think about that!

I would hate for my young child to get a distorted perspective of our world because he didn't get the full effect of HD while watching the Discovery Channel!!

And the 'extra money' was really just pennies per month, right Tara?