Friday, November 23, 2007

Christmas Season Is Officially Open!

Let me be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

(And if by chance you are offended by me wishing you a Merry Christmas then you are more than welcome to take a moment to learn how to just deal with it!)

Speaking of dealing with it, I've decided to come up with my a Top 5-Bottom 5 list of Christmas carols to be on the look-out for.


Any time I listen to the Top 5 there's a pretty good chance I'll actually sing along and get into the holiday spirit. Any time I listen to the Bottom 5 I have a sudden urge to drive my car off an embankment!

Starting off with the Top 5, #1 being the best:

(By the way, these audio players take a moment to load the song, just keep clicking Play and it'll eventually come up.)

#5 Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys

It sounds just like 30 other songs by The Beach Boys, but hey, this one's about Christmas!



4. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Frank Sinatra

Any Christmas carol sung by Ol' Blue Eyes is worth a listen.



3. Carol of the Bells - Trans-Siberian Orchestra

How else can you improve upon a Ukrainian folk song than by adding a little electric guitar? Rock on, Sweet Baby Jesus!



2. O Holy Night - The version by John Williams

A partridge and a pear tree for anyone who can name the movie this version of O Holy Night appeared in. Hint: Yesterday, he was just a kid. Tonight, he is a home security system.



1. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings - Barenaked Ladies & Sarah Maclachlan

So good you could listen to it all year long!



And now the Bottom 5 - Listen at your own risk!

5. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer - By Various Struggling Artists

Quick question, how does an old lady getting trampled by a deer prove the existence of Santa Claus?



4. Santa Baby - Madonna

Is it just me or does Santa seem a bit like a seedy old man when you think about Madonna singing this song to him?



3. 12 Days of Christmas - Bing Crosby

Nothing against Bing, but any repetitious song that is played repetitiously for 4 weeks straight would put anyone on strong medication!



2. Little Drummer Boy - Wade Strzinek

That's right, despite my begging and pleading not to, my 7th grade music teacher made me sing this song AS A FREGGIN' SOLO in front of my entire Junior High School. This isn't an actual recording but it might as well be because I sang it in soprano seeing how I had yet to hit puberty! Now you can all understand my socially deprived childhood!

Needless to say, I cringe every time I hear this song!



1. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney

This song is proof what happens when Sir Paul tries to write a song without the advantages of mind-altering controlled substances - it's horrible! Seriously, I get a serious case of bleeding ears every time I hear it!



On that happy note, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas season!

7 comments:

See-Dub said...

Home Alone?

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is my favorite Christmas song, especially as sung by John Denver and the Muppets. Seriously!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Let me be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas, Wade, family and fellow bloggers, although a bit early. This makes me think...Crazy Christmas album covers?;)

Wade said...

Hey See_Dub,

You got it, Home Alone! Uh . . . so do you really want a partridge and a pear tree?
________________________________

Hey Russ,

Ha! Is there anything that goes with egg nog and mistletoe better than crazy Christmas album covers!

W

Casdok said...

Thanks for that!!!!

Anonymous said...

Boy, I was just preparing my Christmas Songs Post at the weekend and had SUCH a good laugh when I found yours :-)

But I really do understand you hating the "Little Drummer Boy" - this is just horrible!

GliterallyScoot said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog for the details. :-)

OK -- have to admit to you -- it's like confession lol -- I decorated for Christmas *gasp* the day before and the day of Thanksgiving! And on a side rant, 2 weeks before Thanksgiving I went to WalMart to find a secret sister gift Thanksgiving themed and all. All Thanksgiving stuff was gone and replaced with Christmas stuff already! Not just moved elsewhere but GONE! Thought you'd appreciate that. :-)

Wade said...

Hey Helen,

Glad you liked it! Hopefully it can be a good addition to your post.
________________________________________

Hey EDMC,

Thanks for the tag - this one actually may take me a while to do!

As for Wal-Mart, why doesn't that surprise me?

Thanks for stopping by,

W