Monday, November 19, 2007

Here's the 411 on 411 . . .


I learned something new today . . .

. . . instead of paying $2 to call Information for a phone number, you can text your request to Googl (or 46645 - the e in Google is intentionally left off to accomodate a 5-digit text number) and you'll get a return text in just a few moments with an address and phone number.

For instance, I was looking for Chili's in Weatherford, TX today so I texted "chili's weatherford texas" and a moment later I received via text:

Chili's Grill & Bar
128 E. Interstate 20
Weatherford, 76087
817-594-1661

It will work even if you don't have a call plan that includes texting. 10 cents a text beats a $2 Information charge any day!

All hail the all-knowing Google!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's texting?

Jenni said...

Google is taking over the world....and I love it!!!

Wade said...

Hey Anon,

Try googling 'texting'.
_______________________________

Hey Jenni,

I know! Ain't it great?

W

Casdok said...

Love google!

Hilary said...

awesome for getting football scores too!

Audra Laney said...

You can also use 1800-FREE-411 if you don't mind listening to a 30 second McDonalds commercial!
____________________________

I guess you'll have to boycott me and take away my millions of adoring, avid reader-fans. ;)You have to keep up with the times! Everyone is celebrating Christmas early except you! lol!

Wade said...

Hey Hilary,

Wow! Is there anything Google can't do? I'm gonna to seeing if Google can make me breakfast in bed every morning!
______________________________

Hey Audra,

Why does everything have to have a commercial in front of it? I know it's all about the $$$, but seriously!

As far celebrating Christmas early . . . No! I'll never turn to the Dark Side!

W

Eric Swayne said...

The even better option if you're not the texting kind is 1-800-G00G-411. It's also free, and there's no annoying long commercials to listen to!

DeeAnne said...

hi. i'm laura scott's sister. i occasionally lurk your blog. anyway, you can also text google for weather and flight arrival and departures. for example, type brooklyn ny weather and you will get the weather. type aa flight 740 and you will get the status of that particular american airlines flight. you can even text the name of a current movie and your zip code and get local listings. it's awesome.

Wade said...

Hey Laura Scott's sister,

Wow! I'm more and more impressed with Google. What I don't understand is why don't they advertise these services? It seems everything is word of mouth with these guys.

Thanks for occasionally lurking,

W

DeeAnne said...

oh, forgot to leave my name... it's DeeAnne. and thanks for stopping by rubberturkey. happy holiday to your family, too!