Friday, November 16, 2007

Deep Thoughts by Michael Finley

Earlier this week, my manager took me and my team out to a swanky restaurant in Dallas called N9NE. It's one of those places where people are more than happy to pay for overly priced food because for some reason they think it's the place to be seen - which means that me and my Docker pants and plaid button-up shirt stood out like a dork at a supermodel convention!

Apparently it's also a great place to take in a basketball game because Michael Finley and Juwan Howard came in to eat dinner in the bar while watching the LA Lakers-Houston Rockets game on TV.

(Finley, who is now with the San Antonio Spurs, was in town to play the Mavericks the following evening - he and Howard used to be teammates here in Dallas.)


I could see them from where I was sitting and all through my dinner all I could think was, "Don't they get sick and tired of watching and playing basketball all the time."

Later when we were leaving, I suddenly found myself walking out along side Michael Finley - I couldn't resist:

Me: "Hey Mike, don't you get tired of watching basketball all the time?"

Mike: "No man! I love it!"

Me: "But as long as you have been around the game, wouldn't you want to get away from it all during an off-night?"

Mike: "What do you do for a living?"

Me: "I sell pharmaceuticals."

Mike: "Well, when you get home from work do you ever look up the stock price of your company or think about your job?"

Me: "Sure, but there comes a point when I don't want to think about it anymore."

Mike: "Well, when you do what you love it never feels like work."

Me: " . . . . . . . . cool, man!"

7 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

love it!

I think you are not a dork in dockers and plaid shirt simply b/c you had the nerve to talk to Micheal Finley!

Rock on Wade!

Susan

Pearson Family said...

SWEET! I agree with Susan, total guts to have a conversation with Finley!

Anonymous said...

Soooooooo, is that better than my conversation about dog pedicures with Tony LaRussa today in WC?????????

I'm with you, don't know why people want to pay so much to eat froo froo food!

Aunt B

Jody said...

Awesome! Troy Aikman, Herschel Walker, Kirk Herbstreit, Michael Finley......it seems you are always hobnobbing with professional athletes. Granted, you were much braver than I would have been, but you would have been really brave if you had asked him how he's been so successful in the NBA without knowing how to dribble! As a Mavs fan, his inability to drive to the basket used to drive me crazy.

See-Dub said...

Cool conversation! It still pains me to see Fin in that Spurs jersey.

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

Thanks! I have to say though, it was a little intimidating! But I figured if I spar with physicians all week long then I could go a few rounds with a 6'7'' guard/forward!_____________________________

Hey Paige,

Thanks as well - and thanks for meeting us bright and early this morning! Can't wait to see the pictures!
_____________________________

Hey Aunt B,

Wow! Tony LaRussa?

Hmmmmm . . . Tony LaRussa is probably a bigger celebrity but I'll have to dock you a few points due to questionable conversation subject matter.

Judge's ruling: Tie!
______________________________

Hey Jody,

Ha! Now that I think about it, I do remember that Finley kept dropping silverware on the floor!
_______________________________

Hey See-Dub,

Naa! Jody's right - Finley was too much of a liability. I'm glad he got his ring though. It's Nash who I really miss.

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Eric Swayne said...

WOAH, wait a sec.. I... I think I just had a split-second of man crush on Michael Finley! Wow. Never thought that would happen. :-)