Friday, August 25, 2006

The Big 3-1!

A few more grey hairs above my ears can only mean one thing – I turned 31 today!

(Double click on the play button below to get the birthday party started!)



31 is an unusual age so I decided on an unusual celebration by taking Kelly to a local taping of The Wheel of Fortune (Vanna and Pat are in Dallas for the weekend – I’ll let Kelly tell you about it on her blog).

After that, Kelly and I got dressed up in formal wear for a night out at a . . . Women’s Republican Party fund raiser (huh? – my mom’s extremely politically active – oh).

Yeah, so I’m thinking I get to do what ever the heck I want on Saturday. Hmm, what shall I do? I know – I’ll pound out some serious miles on my bike!!!

But before I do, I’ll share with you some of the more memorable birthday presents I’ve received over the years:

1. The guitar Kelly gave me my senior year at ACU. I still have it but I upgraded to an electric-acoustic Takamine.

2. My red go-cart that I used to terrorize neighborhood cats and dogs when I turned 9.

3. My Honda Elite 50 moped when I turned 14 – I drove it everywhere even though I didn’t have a license. There was a short cut that I would take to get to a friend's house that went right through Kelly's neighborhood. Now that I think of it, I think Rick was that guy who always cut me off!!!

4. My Honda 100cc street legal dirt bike when I turned 15 – I got a license for this one.

5. My first car when I turned 16: a 1984 Mazda RX-7. I loved that car until the day I wrecked it!

6. My mom gave me a green duster when I was a freshman at ACU (For those of you in NoCal, a duster is a long cowboy coat). The funny thing is that I have never owned a pair of cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, a big silver belt buckle, a pair of Wranglers or even a country CD – so why in the world would I wear a duster? I remember my mom saying, “You’ll look so cool walking around on campus!” I made her take it back!

7. My first road bike – as in last year!

8. Speaking of last year: Kelly throwing me a birthday bash for my 30th!

9. Kelly got me a grill a few years ago. I’m still learning how to make the most of it from the experts like dad-n-law Rick and Mike L. I do have to say that I make a mean roasted corn on the cob! The steaks? Eh, not so much . . . yet!

10. One of my favorite shirts I ever got from my sister was a khaki long sleeve Polo when I was 18 years old – I still wear it!

11. When I turned 14, Philip picked me up and took me to Putt-Putt to play video games. After that we saw a movie. I remember it well because, at least for one day, it actually felt like we were brothers.

Here’s to another year!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a good one! Thanks for explaining what a Duster was...thought she wanted you to clean your apartment...
Sounds like you had a great day. Hope you have many more.

Aunt Barb

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day Wade!

J & J Bunt

Shannon said...

Are there any pictures of you in your duster before you returned it? Wade in cowboy get-up. Just can't imagine it. But I can imagine you at 9 years old driving that go cart like a mad man. See what you have to look forward to with your son?

Wade said...

Hey Aunt Barb,

Now a duster (as in to clean an apartment with) would have been much better - although I doubt I would have given it much use!

By the way, since you won't sell/donate/give/bequeath to me your Beatles album collection I've started my own. So far I have Abbey Road, Meet the Beatles and Magical Mystery Tour. I framed them with UV protective glass and have them hanging in my office. I think my birthday calls for a new addition to my collection! Shhh, don't tell Kelly! I next want to buy either Help!, Rubber Soul or Sgt. Pepper's.

Every time I see footage of them at Candlestick I think of you!
__________________________

Thanks, J & J!
__________________________

Hey Shannon,

Pictures? Are you kidding? Although the one time I put it on would have been really funny because I was wearing my typical shorts/t-shirt and standing in the parking lot of the mexican restaurant between Abilene Mall and Toys 'R Us - forgot the name. I sure there were plenty of true cowboys driving by and just rolling thier eyes at me!

Yeah, I'm thinking that there's gonna be a lot of payback when it comes to my son! I guess I should go ahead and apologize to Kelly now!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Sorry-Can't bear to part with any of the originals, which are too far gone to "preserve" on the wall.

Just joined the ipod generation and purchased a nano. Saving the remaining 2G space for the Beatles collection.

Aunt Barb

Pearson Family said...

Happy Late Birthday!