Thursday, August 17, 2006

I'm out on Self Check Out!


The first time I saw a Self Check Out Lane at my local grocer I thought, "Hey cool! This will speed things up." But has it? Has it really?

I wonder which part they spent less money on: the optical scanner that reads the product bar codes or the weight sensor underneath the plastic bags.

I remember a time when I had a problem scanning an item so I asked the 17 year old Assistant Manager for help. He waved my box of Pop Tarts exactly the same way I did and got it to scan - after which he gave me a look like I was some technologically disabled nincompoop!

As for the weight sensor (now there’s a piece of cutting-edge technology!), don’t you just love it when you place your scanned item in the plastic bag and then try to scan the next item only to be told by the computer, "Please place your scanned item in the bag!"

That's when I yell real loud, "Pay attention you bucket of bolts! I already put my scanned item in the bag!" And that's when Security is notified that I'm in the Self Check Out Lane again.

They should place item limits on Self Check Out Lanes. One time, I patiently waited for some lady who was using the Self Check Out Lane to purchase her entire month's worth of groceries. Her own technological shortcomings didn't bother me until she pulled out her book of coupons - at which point I decided I could do without my gallon of milk and spaghetti meat.

Here's a question regarding Self Check Out Lane Etiquette: Is there one line for all Self Check Out counters or does each Self Check Out counter have its own line? I was waiting in line where the "One Line for All Counters" Rule was in effect when some obliviot walked past us and right up to an open counter!!

Being much more civilized than he, we all allowed said-nincompoop to get away with his serious infraction. But since there is no official signage or posting, who says we have to stand in just one line anyway?

Self Check Out Lane Fun Fact: According to IHL Consulting Group, "consumers report buying junk food, supermarket tabloids and the like 45% less frequently while scanning their own purchases than when checking out the old-fashioned way – supposedly they’re more occupied with scanning items and spending less time in lines."

Spending less time in lines? Which lines would these be?

Now that I think about it, I'll just let some high school kid check me out instead!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with all of your comments on the self check out lane. I think people think "oh cool, I can scan my own groceries and bag them!". There should definitely be a limit on self check out groceries. Like, 2 items:)

I do think it is totally okay to bypass the line if another lane is open by the way. I love it when that happens at Wal-Mart. I feel like I've one-upped everyone...I know, I'm a dork.

tara said...

I love the self check out unless you are trying to buy 8 packages of Black Cherry koolade - it takes forever and after each packet it asks you to place it in the bag but since they each weigh like 1 ounce th esensor won't pick it up. I will never again buy koolade in the self check out line.

Wade said...

Hey Shannon,

If I have more than 6 or 8 items then I always go the traditional route. But I'm the type who will, for some reason, endure the beating of going to the grocery store just to get one item instead of waiting to do a couple of week's worth of shopping - in which case I'll use Self Check Out.

And if you should ever "one-up" me while I am using the Self Check Out, then I reserve the right to publicly humiliate you by telling everyone else in line that you obviously don't think the rules that keep our society from collapsing apply to you.

Love you guys!


Hey Tara,

Have tried scanning a different flavor? Maybe Fruit Punch would work! Just kidding!

My suggestion is not to buy koolade packages in the first place. Don't you know that our instant-gratification oriented society has come up with a way to sell ready-made koolade in a convenient sipping box? You don't have to go through the hastle of finding the perfect mixing ratio of koolade powder, sugar,and water. Just poke the straw in the box and you've got koolade! Just kidding again.

Black Cherry is one my fav's!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Phylemon said...

I've got to disagree with you on this one, Wade. Each of the self checkout lanes has its own line, at least in the Walmart on 3040. The only exception to this is during Christmas time, when "one-upping" someone (to borrow a phrase) will likely earn you a yule tide beating that you won't soon forget. I also have to agree with the condemnation of the scale thingy, especially when you are trying to buy lightweight items. What I have found helful in these cases is to hurl said item with as much ferocity as you can muster into the bag. This will usually aid the scale into recognizing the item. This is also why Jennifer and I don't have any eggs in the house.

Wade said...

Hey Paul,

As for the line issue, I don't care which way you go - one line for all counters or each counter has its own line. Either way works great for me. All I'm asking for is conformity! Let's pick one and go with it! We definitely should have a 'No One-upmanship' Clause.

I do have to say that I find your bagging technique very intriguing. I wonder if screaming loudly at the same time would help even more.

Apparently it has some affect since professional long drive hitters and tennis players have incorporated a scream into thier action moves. I'll give it a try and let you know!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

I'm just getting the visual of you throwing your item into your bag and yelling a "tennis uhhh!" at the same time. Pretty funny. Can we go to the grocery store with you next time we're at your house?

Wade said...

Sure thing!

Or you could just wait until America's Wildest Security Camera Video's comes out on DVD!