Saturday, November 11, 2006

Daddy Thoughts, Part II

A few months ago I shared my daddy thoughts. Here’s what I’m thinking now that we are approaching t-minus 3 weeks . . .

1. Holy cow! 8 months go by fast!!

2. Oh, no! I don’t remember a thing we talked about at the birthing class!!

3. Aw, man! The breast-feeding class is next weekend!! (So much for watching Michigan-Ohio State!!)

4. If one more person explains to me how much my life is going to change (as if I didn’t already know) then I’m going respond with an overly sarcastic, “Well, d’uh!”

5. The funniest comment made to me by someone who was just trying to be nice: “You’re having a boy, aren’t you? I could tell – you’re just glowing!” (I was sun burned)

6. Babies ‘R Us should be renamed Parents ‘R Us because 75% of it is just comfort/convenience stuff for the parents!

7. The womb is still the most uncomfortable environment that I can possibly imagine.

8. I don’t get it – what’s so great about The Wiggles?

9. Baby Einstein I get.

10. Ok, I can do this. Just keep thinking, “It’s just a dirty diaper – how bad can it be?” (I don’t know if I can do this!)

11. The Expectant Father by Brott & Ash . . . don’t bother, it’s all the same stuff you learned in birthing class.

12. The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp, MD . . . not bad, but he could shorten it by about half the length.

13. Kelly really surprised me with the way she decorated the nursery . . . as usual she did a great job! I think the Chamonix poster is my favorite!

14. The Dallas Cowboys and the Dallas Mavericks are seriously under-serving the newborn market with very little merchandising.

15. What I’m most hopeful for during ‘the big day’: That we get a suite at the hospital. They are so nice but it’s first come, first served.

16. What I can’t wait to see during ‘the big day’: The expression on Kelly’s face when she holds Tate for the first time – we’re both gonna lose it!

17. What would surprise me the most on ‘the big day’: Kelly cussing me out!

18. What I’m most afraid of during ‘the big day’: That I might pass out – I’ll wear my cycling helmet so I don’t hit my head on the floor!

19. What I’m most curious about during ‘the big day’: What Tate will look like, of course!

20. The one thing I’m not worried about during ‘the big day’: Kelly. She’s gonna do great!

7 comments:

laura said...

I have to say the Happiest Baby on the Block strategy saved our lives! The whole swaddle... side lying position... bouce... shhhh... that mans a genius! And in regards to the Wiggles... I have to agree with you, but just wait until little man Tate starts dancing, and it's basically to anything that has fun music, then you'll get it! SO precious to watch our little ones dance!

Wade said...

Hey Laura,

The Happiest Baby seems to make sense on paper. I'm just hoping the disclaimer 'This technique doesn't work with all babies' doesn't apply to us and Tate!

What is it about kids dancing? Such a crack-up!

Speaking of which, a movie came out earlier this year called Little Miss Sunshine. You have to fight thru a gratuitous amount of f-bombs but the big payoff is an absolutely hilarious scene involving a dancing 9-year old girl - that's the hardest I've laughed in a movie theatre in years! Maybe I'll mail it to you when it comes out!

Gracias para visitar,

W

Anonymous said...

Wade--You and Kelly are going to be great parents!!!!Can't wait to see that first "family portrait". You know if Tate makes you wait 2 days he could share his cousin Butch's B'day.....Can you send us a picture of the nursery? Hope you haven't forgotten that touch of Blue and Gold!

Aunt B

Jill said...

Ahhhh The Wiggles! You will know them well. :) The first time we took the kids to a Wiggles concert Mike and I were cracking up! We laughed that it was wilder than some of the concerts we used to go to. There was even a baby mosh pit down near the front! LOL

Shannon said...

I like your new daddy thoughts. You sound like you have become quite educated in the short 5 months. Good job Wade, you are going to be a great daddy!

FYI: the swaddle works...we're still doing it!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill,

Baby mosh pits??? Hmmmm, now I'm really curious!! The little I've seen of The Wiggles so far already makes me appreciate how far we have moved on since Barney!
______________________________

Thanks Shannon,

I've been taking a few mental notes from you and Brad!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt B,

I think Kelly is waiting on just a few more things (in addition to Tate) and then the nursery will be finished.

I'm sure Kelly will post a picture of it on her blog when she's done!

As far as the touch of Blue and Gold, if Tate had a Cal onesie/t-shirt I'm sure it would be one of his favorites!! (Hint, hint)

Thanks for stopping by,

W