Thursday, November 16, 2006

No Vacancy in Heaven?

I should share more about the people I meet in the waiting rooms of the doctors I call on . . .

Yesterday I was in a waiting room reading Happiest Baby when I suddenly realized the guy across from me had been speaking to me for the past minute or two . . . don't you just love conversations that start like that?

He was giving me commentary on Montel Williams, whose show was on the TV. (Side rant: How does that guy still have a TV show?) Montel's guest was some lady who claimed she could use spirituality to see into the future. Again, why is that spare still on TV?

Anyway, the guy in the waiting room started telling me about how his 14-year old daughter asked him if he believed in "God and Heaven and such." (Yeah, the awkward transition from Montel Williams to God and Heaven and such really confused me, too!)

Although he never told me how he answered her question, he said to me, "Between you and me: I did 3 tours in Vietnam. Everybody I knew over there who went to church ended up getting killed. I never went to church once and I came home without a scratch! Now what does that tell you?"

At this moment I was wishing I had something clever, snappy and sarcastic to say - which probably isn't what Jesus would have done. Instead, I just sat there silently hoping that wasn't how he answered his daughter's question.

Then he continues, "Besides, I don't know if I even want to go to Heaven. Think about all the people who have ever lived and are now dead - Heaven's a crowded place, it's too crowded."

That's when I finally spoke up, "Says who?"

"What do you mean, 'Says who?"

"Do you really think that Heaven is too crowded?"

"Well, yeah - billions of people have lived on earth. Do you want to go to a place where there are billions of people?"

This guy's logic was beginning to frustrate me. I was ready to roll up my sleeves and go a few rounds with him! I was ready to tell him that he couldn't possibly be disappointed with Heaven - no matter how many people are there. I was ready to tell him that God is infinite and so is his home. I was ready to tell him that Heaven is as big as needs it to be - which is bigger than we can imagine! I was ready to tell him what he should have told his daughter!

But just as I was about to set him straight I heard the nurse say, "Wade, are you ready to come back?"

Dang!

All I could think to say to the guy was, "Well, a crowded Heaven sure beats the alternative."

4 comments:

Keri said...

You said exactly what you needed to say Wade!

laura said...

it's amazing how God gives you the exact words, exactly when you need them! You may have been ready to go a few rounds, but God just needed one sentence! Great job at being his vessel!

Wade said...

Hey Keri & Laura,

Thanks - I know you're right. I spent the rest of the day wishing I had time to say what was really on my mind. But had I had more time I doubt I would have said anything that would have been very helpful.

Thanks for stopping by,

W

B-Mom said...

Wade:
Though I stop by your blog every week, tonight was a "Divine Appointment." We've just been told that there is nothing more they can do for my uncle who whent into the hospital 10 days ago with Type A Influenza. He's been on a ventillator, dialysis and a drug induced coma (this is my uncle who played football for Texas, coached for several years and is a BIG man. He has sever chlostephobia so they have to sedate him or he'll come out of that bed!). Anyway, he is just 10 years older than me and he was like my big brother rather than an uncle. So, I've rambled enough about that....but to your blog. We just never know what tomorrow holds and God only holds us accountable to be the "sower" not the "reaper" so you never know what your words may have sparked in his thoughts.

My uncle became a Christian just a few years ago and if he could speak now...I'm sure he would say..."There's always room for just one more!"

Thanks for your blog. I'm thankful my name's on a mansion!

Sharon Bankhead