Sunday, November 12, 2006

QOTW Results: Premature Christmas Celebrations

There are a couple of reasons why it really bothers me when retail stores preemptively celebrate Christmas before Thanksgiving.

1. It shows blatant disrespect for the Thanksgiving Holiday! C’mon, people! Thanksgiving is important! If it weren’t for Thanksgiving then the pilgrims would have never had an excuse to eat lunch with the indians. Show Turkey Day a little respect!

2. The longer stores have Christmas decorations up the longer they have to play Christmas music. Hey, I can get into the Christmas spirit with the best of you but 6 weeks of Silver Bells, Chestnuts roasting on an open fire and a partridge and a pear tree – Ahhhh! It’s enough to send me over the edge!!

I’ve tried getting Kelly to join my boycott of all offending retailers but she just looks at me like I’m insane!
_______________________________________________________

“Does it bug you when stores put up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving?"
Total votes: 14 votes
Yeah, but waddya gonna do?: 7 votes, 50%
No! I can't wait for Christmas!: 4 votes, 28%
Absolutely! We should boycott!: 3 votes, 21%
I never really noticed: 0 votes

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I think you might have been close to sleeping on the couch after saying that to Kelly! How dare you Wade!

Are the Christmas decorations out yet??

Anonymous said...

I don't get it, Shannon - why do you think I should get the couch?

And no! The Christmas decorations are not out yet - my household celebrates one holiday at a time . . . in the order in which they appear on the calendar!!

Shannon said...

...for wanting to boycott all the retailers that put out Christmas stuff early. That is how Kelly strategizes her after Christmas shopping!

Wade said...

Kelly can buy Christmas presents anytime she wants.

I just think it's pretty sad how the retailers don't acknowledge Thanksgiving. Instead they start pile driving Sleigh Bells in the Snow in your head as soon as Halloween is over!

Sean Carter said...

Well yes there's still time for Christmas....but Thanksgiving is hust around the corner!!!! And that means all the great celebrations are up ahead.....and hey if you want some really cool ideas and suggestions on Thanksgiving then just visit my Thanksgiving Blog sometime an find out all that you want....well visit soon and enjoy your Thanksgiving celebrations!!!!