Monday, November 20, 2006

The Invisible Leash & QOTW

It's amazing how dependant we've become on technology.

My technological dependency became quite obvious last night when, after my work computer rolled over on its back and died, I went to bed a little upset because Kelly was hogging our laptop.

Her excuse had something to do with her being 38 weeks pregnant and still not having found a suitable diaper bag - which apparently justifies 2 hours of online shopping.

I didn't get too worked up about it - but it did make me realize that the invisible leash between me and my laptop has gotten really short!
________________________________________________________

It seems like most of you out there in the blogosphere are looking forward to getting your L-tryptophan fix with a healthy serving of turkey this Thanksgiving.

As for me, I'll probably double-up on the honey baked ham.

Here's the best explanation I've found of why turkey supposedly makes you tired: Turkey meat contains an amino acid called L-tryptophan. When eaten, this amino acid travels in the blood from the digestive system to the brain.

The brain then changes the L-tryptophan into another chemical called serotonin. Serotonin calms us down and helps us sleep.

Which is why I'll probably fall asleep somewhere between halftime and mid-3rd quarter of the Cowboy game - that is unless Vander-dork misses another pair of field goals and gets me all worked up again.

QOTW: "Do you enjoy eating turkey on Thanksgiving or would you rather have something else?"

Total votes: 18 votes

I love me some turkey: 13 votes, 72%

Turkey's not my favorite but I can deal with it: 5 votes, 27%

Please! Anything but turkey!: 0 votes

4 comments:

laura said...

Hey Wade, just a thought, if kelly hasn't found the perfect bag yet, we were really happy with our diaper bag/backpack by Colombia, holds pretty much everything, and is manly enough for Gary to carry :) which was very important to him pre-nathan. the one downside is that it is really only big enough for one baby's worth of stuff. but that's all we needed it for thank goodness :)

Wade said...

Hey Laura,

Thanks for the suggestion! I seriously think that Kelly has looked at every diaper bag currently on the market and still hasn't found 'the one.'

I know how Gary felt - the disturbing trend I have noticed in Kelly's preferences is that regardless which bag she chooses it looks as though I won't be very comfortable being seen lugging it over my shoulder . . . so I bought my own!!

I tripped over a website called diaperdude.com - they make messenger bag-style diaper bags. I thought about blogging about it but I was worried doing so would challenge the manliness of my blog!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Jill said...

I came across your blog in a roundabout way and I had add my favorite diaper bag to the mix. I didn't "discover" it until my daughter was about 6 months old after trying sooooo many bags. 2redhens.com makes the best bags. They are big enough you can just throw everything in, but small enough to carry on a stroller or shoulder. Good luck with baby!

Wade said...

Hey Jillian,

Thanks for the suggestion - I passed it on to Kelly.

It's funny that you mention not finding your favorite bag until after you had already test driven a few - I made that same comment to Kelly as she walked out of Babies 'R Us empty-handed yet again.

But knowing (and loving) Kelly the way I do - she'll want everything to be ready before Tate gets here!

Thanks for stopping by in a roundabout way,

W