Sunday, October 08, 2006

Is this the best we've got?

Political banter of any kind usually gives me tired-head in 3.5 seconds or less, but I'm going to stop down for a moment because our current Texas gubernatorial race is a perfect example of why I avoid politics at all cost.

For those of you who don't know:

Supposedly, incumbent Governor Rick Perry is leading the polls at 33%.

Carol Keaton "One Tough Grandma" Strayhorn (I) is second at 22%.

Chris Bell (D) is third at around 18%.

Kinky Friedman (I) is fourth at 16%.


So you can look at this one of two ways: Gov. Perry has a 10 point lead on his competition OR the majority of Texas wants someone other than Perry to be governor.

There's still plenty of politic-ing to go but it looks like unless it is discovered that Rick Perry has been sending inappropriate text messages to Al-Qeada he'll retain his seat as governor.

But here's my point in bringing up this gobblely-gook: In the political juggernaut that is the great state of Texas, is this the best we can come up with in a gubernatorial race? Are there not more dynamic, qualified, reasonable, viable candidates for governor somewhere in Texas?

For governor we get to choose from:

- An incumbent who, for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, I just can't get totally comfortable with. (Sorry, Mom!)

- A democratic candidate who is so bland I forget his name as soon as I hear it.

- Some lady who wants us all to refer to her as 'One Tough Grandma'. (One Tough Grandma? Oh pa-leaze! Ann Richards had death rays shooting from her eyes compared to this woman!)

- Some guy named Kinky who can't make a point unless he can emphatically stab his cigar in the air while he's talking - which I think he does to draw attention away from the fact that he is horribly misinformed on almost all things pertaining to state politics.

So forgive me if I don't jump in my car and rush to the voting booths next month. Let's just say that I am more impressed with my 6-year old niece's rendition of Neil Diamond's 'Sweet Caroline'.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I said, tired-head in 3.5 seconds or less.

I'm not going to debate this with you - mostly because I don't know who you are. But I will say that a candidate isn't qualified for office just because I agree with their opinions or perspectives.

I'm not worried that he's a liberal or a tree hugger or a Jew (that comment, by the way, I find offensive!) - I'm worried that the voting masses have dropped their standards and expectations of the current day politician.

For me to give my precious vote to a politician - they have to earn it. All I'm saying is that none of the candidates in our current gubernatorial race have yet to earn my vote.

But thanks for stopping by,

Wade

We're the ones who have to put up with them said...

Hahaha - great post! I feel your pain. In the senatorial runoff in WA state, some of our fine candidates included Michael Goodspaceguy Nelson, whose platform was about space colonization, Mike the Mover, whose platform was that he was going to fight Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska in the Key Arena, and Mohammed Said who is currently up on a variety of drug and sexual assault charges.

I second the nomination of your 6-year old niece!!!

Keri said...

My head hurt reading your blog and now reading the comments has made my headach more intense! I hate politics!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Keri,

You can never say politics isn't a hot topic. What drives me nuts is how some people take it so personally. I'm not saying that Mr./Mrs. Kinky is Awesome is taking my comments personally.

But shesh! Can a man not have an opinion of his own? . . . Even on his own blog?

I'm going to find a random YouTube video to post just so that I can change the subject!!

Cute pics on your blog by the way!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Hey Mizellie,

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that things are just as crazy elsewhere.

For at least some of us, no matter how bad it gets at least we don't live in California and have to put up with the likes of Gov. Arnold and Sen. Nancy Pelosi!! (Hi Aunt Barb!)

Oh! And I'm sure my niece is glad to have your support! In 10 years you will find her either serving as the President of Student Council or in line at American Idol. Either way, I'll be the proud uncle standing off to the side!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Bob Phillips said...

Hey Wade,
I like your point and I think it is well made.

"One tough grandma" use to be a Republican and Perry use to be a Democrat. Who knows what Kinky is or was or will be. It's a crazy mixed up world. It gives me a headache as well.

I am a former Republican County chairman, and a local election judge. I have met two of the people running.

I still vote but I no longer waste my time with political activism of any type. I have wasted my vote far to often and now I am just refuse to waste my time and energy.
Bob

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,

Didn't realize you use to be the politically-involved type!

I understand what you mean about not wasting anymore of your time. But the sad part is I think more people would get involved if they felt like their vote meant something to these candidates.

I have been a registered voted for nearly half of my life now and not once has a politician on any level (city, county, state, federal) ever asked for my vote or even tried to explain why my vote wouldn't be wasted on them . . . in simple terms that don't involve bashing the competition!

But that's what it's going to take for me to go to a booth and vote for someone who I otherwise would have never heard of.

Thanks for stopping by,

W