Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thanks a lot . . . 1 Year and $1500 later!


For those of you who don't know, I wear a hearing aid because of a birth defect.

I started wearing a hearing aid while at ACU because that was when digital technology in hearing aids came out - until then the analog stuff wasn't much help.

I found an audiologist in Abilene who got me fitted with my hearing aid and I kept using him even after Kelly and I moved back to Fort Worth after graduation.

In October of last year my hearing aid needed a few repairs so I UPS'ed it back to my audiologist in Abilene. The only problem was that UPS ended up losing my hearing aid mid-transit! Save that tracking number, folks!

I called them for 2 weeks and they kept telling me that they lost it somewhere at their Distribution Hub in Mesquite, "Sorry, Mr. Stryinuck - it seems it went in but never came out!".

Luckily I purchased a $1500 insurance policy from UPS when I paid for the shipping - it only cost me an extra $12. So after a few more weeks I got a check from UPS and had my hearing aid replaced by a local audiologist.

The reason I'm telling you about all this is because I got a voice mail today from my old audiologist in Abilene, "Mr. Stresiyuck, just wanted you to know that we received your hearing aid and we'll call you when it's fixed."

1 year and $1500 later, UPS finally made the delivery!

What can Brown do for me? Don't ask!

7 comments:

Keri said...

HA!!! We have a good friend who works for FEDEX. I can't wait to pass along this story to him! Tracking numbers ARE important.

Shannon said...

Bummer that you got your new hearing aid. You could have pocketed the check from UPS! If only you had known...

Wade said...

Hey Keri,

Tell FedEx that I am available for public speaking!
____________________________

Hey Shannon,

D'Oh! I could have put that money in the Killer Ski Boat Fund! Oh well!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Jill said...

This reminds me of a few months ago when our laptop hard drive crashed. Along with all our digital photos from the past three years! We sent it to a data recovery place but the guy at the UPS store forgot to put the sheet with our information in the box. It took forver to find out what had happened to our hard drive! A fortune later we got our recovered pictures back. Moral of the story - back up those pictures. And use FedEx! :)

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

That is why we use FED EX and Jeff works at FED EX so everytime you use FED EX you bless us so don't you EVER, EVER use UPS again. :)

Wade said...

Hey Jill,

Losing all our pics, songs, videos, etc. off our hard drive is one of my worst fears! Which is why I bought an external hard drive - at least it's a safety net of some sorts.
_______________________________

Hey Suz,

So what you're saying is we all should use FedEx, right?

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Simon Weaver said...

Bad luck on loosing your hearing aid. You can now get disposable hearing aids! People who wear disposable hearing aids can get them by prescription and usually discard them after forty days.

John Stevens