Wednesday, January 17, 2007

KTCK The Ticket Discusses My Manliness on The Air

The local sports radio station here is KTCK The Ticket, thier Noon-3 show is called BaD Radio with hosts Bob and Dan - hence the name.

A weekly bit of BaD Radio is called 'Gay or Not Gay'. This is where Bob and Dad read emails from listeners and judge whether some of the things that guys do lack the required amount of manliness in order to remain 'not gay', as they put it.

Not too long ago I found myself in a questionable situation involving a diaper bag and wondered if my manliness was being called into question. So I emailed BaD Radio . . . and my email was read on the air today.

Click here to hear what they had to say.

But before you do, let me make just a few points of my own:

1. The first guy you hear talking is Bob. Bob calling me long-winded is like the pot calling the kettle black. That being said, I have noticed that I've been using a liberal word count lately so I'll try to shorten things down a bit in the future.

2. In paraphrasing my email, Bob gets the story wrong. You'll know exactly when because you'll hear me yell, "No!" in the background - I made the recording using my voice recorder while sitting in my car. What Bob left out was that I was showing off my diaper bag to my friend who is expecting twins; thus in the market for a diaper bag himself.

3. My question was, "Is it gay to suggest a particular manly diaper bag to another expecting father if the bag keeps him from appearing gay by having to carry the frilly, pink diaper bag that his wife would pick out?" Since I don't get a clear answer, feel free to chime in yourself with your thoughts.

4. Click DiaperDude.com to see the diaper bag in question.

By the way, I feel perfectly manly in saying that I love my diaper bag! It's greatness!
__________________________________________________________

For those of you who are interested, here's my 5 paragraph email to BaD Radio. Yeah, Bob's right - this is long!

"Dear Good-Good’s of BaD Radio,

Your ruling is needed on whether I am in violation of causing gayness on not only myself but on an unsuspecting friend as well.

When my son was born earlier this month I knew that we would soon be venturing out in public with child and diaper bag in tow. Although it’s not gay to be seen with your newborn son, it is gay, however, to be seen carrying the frilly baby diaper bag – particularly if it’s the over-the-shoulder-with-a-pretty-monogram-on-the-side-and-pretty-much-looks-like-an-oversized-purse variety that my wife picked out for herself.

Knowing that I needed to avoid the socially unacceptable situation of being seen carrying said-bag, I googled ‘diaper bags for guys’ and quickly found www.diaperdude.com – it’s a diaper bag made in a messenger bag design (across-the-chest) and marketed to dudes like us, hence the name. It’s a great bag and when I go out I feel like I’m getting away with something since most people don’t even realize it’s packed it with onesies and burp rags.

But here’s where my manliness may have gone astray: Last week my wife and I had a couple over for dinner. Since they are expecting twins, I couldn’t wait until they arrived so I could show my buddy my new diaper bag! Keep in mind, my enthusiasm was just as much with knowing that I would be preventing him from potential future gaiety as it was with bragging about my latest great internet purchase. Although I used phrases such as, “Here’s where you put the diapers and here’s where you put the baby wipes!”, I also said things like, “Here’s where your cell phone or your iPod goes and here’s where your sport drink goes!”

It was at about this time that my buddy and I (both P1’s) looked at each other said, “Gay or not gay!” (but not simultaneously, because that would have been gay!). We obviously realize the tremendous gay-factor associated with being excited about diaper bags, but our question to you is: Is it gay to suggest a particular diaper bag to another guy if that particular diaper bag keeps him from appearing gay? Surely there’s some kind of ‘gayness-prevention exemption’ in play here."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the unsuspecting "buddy" that Bob (from BAD Radio) refers to in this scenario, I feel compelled to comment and share my side of the story. So, Janell and I were looking forward to enjoying a nice dinner with friends. I fully expected the girls to talk all things baby. I fully expected Wade and I touch other important topics such as the Cowboys recent emplosion, or maybe the Mavs win streak. But, the reality is that I was blindsided by Wade with talk of diaper bags, baby wipes, and burp rags! He forced me into a conversation that temporarily compromised my manliness. In all seriousness, it was actually a sacrafical move on Wade's part and one that I appreciate. He was willing to talk diaper bags with a friend to help prevent future embarassment for me. By the way, Janell did purchase a diaper bag and it's big and pink. Needless to say, I will be getting a Diaper Dude. Wade, they should send you a commision check. Not only will they get my business, but they got some free advertisement on the radio!

Later,

Jody

Anonymous said...

Long-winded Wade,

Yes it is gay. Am I gay for carrying around Shannon's diaper bag just because it doesn't have a
"sport drink holder"?

Brad

tara said...

Not gay - I wish Dwight would get one.

Wade said...

Hey Jody,

I will say though that if we both show up to church with the same diaper bag then one of us is going to have to go home and change.

Let's see, I live 30 minutes from church - you live only 5. Hmmmmm . . .
_____________________________

Hey Brad,

I'm not going to say that you're gay simply b/c Shannon's diaper bag doesn't have a drink holder, but wearing a hat with beer can holders on it would certainly help your cause!
___________________________

Thanks, Tara!

I knew I could count on you!

TAFSB,

W

laura said...

i have to say... i don't think it's the bag that's being called into question... am i right wade? the issue in question was whether or not it was gay to suggest the bag to another future dad? and i stand proud in saying "NOT GAY" along with my husband who has always carried a backpack diaper bag for the same reason... and does not hesitate to suggest to other daddies to make the change to the more efficient and manly bag :) okay, and the radio guys got way off topic about the holding the purse thing... what in the world :)

Wade said...

Hey Laura,

Thank you for summarizing one of my biggest frustrations with listening to The Ticket - they spend more time off-subject than otherwise. Because of that, I was a little disappointed in their discussion of my email.

Since the infiltration of the 'man purse' into the American culture, most guys have become leary of any bag that can give off a feminine look.

The man-purse (which makes all practical sense these days with the keys, cell phones, wallets, etc that we have to keep up with) has been a staple in European, and probably Bolivian, cultures for a while now.

Unfortunately, for an American guy to carry a bag it has to first be 'dude-ed' up. Gary's backpack is not a bad way to go.

Thank you for your support,

W