Thursday, January 11, 2007

Kelly-ism #8

How much sports is too much?

The answer will depend on who you ask. For me, there's never too much so long as the team is competitive.

(Yes, that means I'm a fair-weather fan. I have neither the time nor the mental capacity to sit around and watch millionaires be mediocre.)

If you ask Kelly, I think the answer has to do with something with what else is on TV and whether or not she likes the team's uniforms.

I can't blame her too much about the uniforms though. I'd rather take a close look at one of Tate's dirty diapers than be jolted by the color scheme of the Smurf Turf at a Boise State home game.

(Don't bother adjusting your monitor - the field is supposed to look blue.)

All of this to say, I kinda felt bad last night while watching the Mavericks when Kelly walked into the living room and said:

"Not another sports game!"

I guess I've been force feeding her quite a healthy serving of the Cowboys, college football bowl games and the Mavericks lately. I'll give her a break and lay off college basketball . . . until March Madness!

I have to hand it to Kelly, though - she continues to watch 'sports games' with me long after her cup has overflowed. Unfortunately for her, I've yet to return the favor. Anytime so much as a commercial for Oprah or The View comes on I usually run screaming from the room!

I guess I should start working at showing more of an interest in things Kelly likes.

Oh, by the way, the Mavericks play the Pacers tomorrow night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How'bout that playoff schedule for this weekend? Patriots v Chargers... Eagles V Saints... Colts v Ravens! Wow. These are going to be some great games. -Butch

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Now of course North Americans are going to become 'huge' soccer (football) fans because of Beckham;). Realistically he has now given up on tier 1 soccer, but when I saw him play in Manchester, when I lived there, he worked very hard on the pitch.

Wade said...

Hey Butch,

Eventhough the embers from the Cowboys' season are still burning in my mind, I'm still very much interested in the playoffs - but mostly to see in what manner Peyton Manning's Super Bowl dreams, yet again, are going to crash and burn!

Should be fun!
______________________________

Hey S & T,

Being the typical American who pays little attention to soccer, this one really caught me by suprise - I didn't even realize something like this was even in the works.

As soon as I heard, I called my brother-in-law (who is the head coach of a unverisity soccer team here in Texas) and said, "You hear about Beckham?" - I was about the 10th person to call him!

But I can totally see how this can be a good thing. If the youth get caught up in the excitement it may drive attendence - which will drive salaries (and ticket prices) - which will drive talent - which, over the years, may improve the overall standing of soccer in this country. We'll see.

Of course, with FC Dallas playing near-by, the local media is going nuts with it. It is kinda strange to think that David Beckham will soon be playing in Frisco, TX!

Should be interesting!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W