Monday, January 08, 2007

Keep All 6 Feet on the Floor!

There's not much about Mrs. Hamilton's 4th grade class that I remember - which is more of an indictment of me as a student than it is of her as a teacher.

There is one thing I do remember - mostly because Mrs. Hamilton had to say it 10 times a day.

"Wade! Keep all 6 feet on the floor!"

Yep, I was a chair-leaner! Forward. To the side. Backward. It was mostly a nervous habit I did without consciously realizing it (a typical characteristic of ADHD).

Sometimes I actually tried to improve my chair-leaning skills. Mrs. Hamilton gave me Silent Lunch one day when I nearly fell back and busted my head open after attempting the tricky maneuver of balancing only on the back two feet of the chair.

But, all in all, my chair-leaning days have been accident-free . . . until last night! This probably falls in the 'just had to be there' category, but . . .

After our Home Team Bible Study at Brad & Melissa's house, we were all in the dining room eating pizza and bashing the Dallas Cowboys . . . when all of a sudden, through no fault of my own, my chair spontaneously explodes and I'm thrown across the room and nearly through a plate-glass window!

Well, what actually happened was I performing the subtle '2-0-2 Lean' - that's where your own two feet are on the floor but your leaning back so that the front 2 feet of the chair are elevated only a couple inches. (I became good at this particular lean after my Silent Lunch because it's harder to notice).

Apparently the 2-0-2 puts an enormous about of pressure on the rear chair legs - who knew? When my chair broke, the back legs literally split down the middle from the seat down, which sent me falling backwards and nearly crashing through the dining room window!

Now keep in mind, this wasn't your run-of-the-mill kitchen chair that Melissa picked up from Furniture 'R Us. Oh no! This was her dining room chair with the real pretty fabric and fancy wood finish. A set of 8, ahem, 7 rather thanks to me!

Another proud moment for Kelly!

Ever felt like a big, fat klutz and only 6 inches tall at the same time?

Brad and Melissa were cool about it (at least in front of me). Brad tried to make me feel better by telling me some story about how he had done the same thing one time. Melissa tried to play it off like it was no big deal. But, Mrs. Hamilton from 4th grade suddenly walked through the front door and yelled, "Told you so!" - which was actually kinda weird!

Adding insult to injury, when I got back home last night I had to change my "Days Accident-Free" sign back to zero!

Again, I am so sorry, Brad & Melissa!

9 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Ooh that's funny! I know you are probably cringing though every time you think about it. But one day you will laugh. Hope it wasn't an Ashley chair-they can only be purchased in qty's of two.

I remember Mrs Hamiliton-she was the tall one that taught Biology right? Or she taught Biology two years after you had her.

Shannon said...

Oh Wade, I can totally picture the event in my head...your reaction and Kelly's! Sorry that happened, but I wish I could've been there to see it in person:) I hate it when stuff like that happens.

tara said...

I love Mrs. Hamilton - I had her in the 6th grade and she was the greatest.

Keri said...

After teaching for 6 years I realized that sometimes you just have to let the kid fall before he could even possibly understand the concept of falling and cracking his head open. I never realized you were one of those type of kids!! :) Too funny Wade!
Keri

Laura Scott said...

Wade, I read this yesterday and didn't know what to say, but now I do. Take a look at my newest blog entry. So sorry that happened to you. I know exactley how you feel!

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

I learned a long time ago that in order to get through life I needed to learn how to laugh at myself - you may recall getting a front row seat to watching me learn that important little life lesson!
_______________________________

Hey Shannon,

If you want, I'll re-enact it this weekend.

Can you imagine the look on Bill's face if I were to destroy one of your mom's chair? I can see him saying, "Geez, what a moron this one is!"

Can't wait!
_______________________________

Hey Tara,

I liked Mrs. Hamilton, too! Unfortunately, I think I wore her out!
_______________________________

Hey Keri,

The reason you didn't realize I was this kind of kid was because I was nothing compared to Eric!

Heck, it was Eric who taught me to come out of my shell!
_______________________________

Hey Laura,

I'm sorry if I jinxed you!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W

Unknown said...

This story is so funny! I can actually relate to Brad and Melissa in this situation because one of my husband's friends did the same thing at my house. I must admit that the chair is a small price to pay to witness such a funny event!

Jill said...

Oh Wade I am cracking up! I can just picture it all in my head. It is SO something I would do! Although I more the fall down the stairs kind of gal. HeeHee. - Jill :)

Wade said...

Hey Kate,

It's good to know I'm not the only one who has destroyed friends' household items - I'm sure he and I would get along great!
______________________________

Hey Jill,

Glad I could amuse you! Apparently falling down the stairs is too simple for me. I prefer a much greater area of destruction that includes innocent bystanders and thier personal property!

Thanks all for stopping by,

W