Thursday, March 22, 2007

Dreams That Go 'Bump' At Night!

Disclaimer & Warning: If you get easily spooked when you're home alone . . . and you happen to be reading this post while you're home alone . . . then don't read this post. Seriously, I don't want to freak anybody out. Also, sorry if this seems a little dark . . .

Ever have dreams that freak you out and leave you wondering if anyone else has the same kind of dreams . . . or if you are just . . . well, a freak?

I have had a reoccuring dream that has troubled me now for several years. By sharing, hopefully, I will learn if at least somebody else 'dreams' this same way from time to time.

In my dream, I'm asleep in bed in the middle of the night when suddenly I am woken up by men trying to break into our house. I get out of bed and run to lock the front door - which I do just in the nick of time! But just as I lock the door, I hear windows breaking on the other side of the house!

That's usually when I wake up . . . in a screaming panic! Poor Kelly, me waking up from these dreams is enough to send her over the edge as well!

The worst part about the dream is that I wake up in the very spot where the dream began - in my bed. Even though I'm awake it feels like I'm still in the dream and someone is trying to break into our house.

The only way I can get back to sleep is by going through the house, room by room, turning on each light, checking each window, checking each door, checking the alarm system and then, and only then, once I am sure that we are all perfectly safe, can I calm down enough to fall asleep again. And even then, I do so praying for God's protective hand.

I know . . . neurotic! By morning I'm usually laughing at myself for getting so upset over a silly dream. Too bad it never seems so silly in the middle of the night.

I don't know what triggers these kind of dreams. I don't know why I have the same dream over and over. And I'm not even sure I want to know what they are supposed to mean.

It had been a while since the last time I had this dream but it reared its ugly head again just the other night. I'll ask you the same question I asked myself at whenever-it-was AM in the morning - Am I the only one who has these types of dreams?

6 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi Wade,

I do not have a dream similar to yours, but have had disturbing dreams. Although I pray to the Lord for protection I do have some metal bars and a Swiss Army knife by my bed just in case I need to fight for my life in combat in the middle of the night with knife wielding burglars. I do not know you well but I would suggest you keep some kind of protection by your bed at night.

One night a few years ago a drunk man was on my roof looking into the condo at 5:30 am. I went to a window where we could see each other and held up a baseball bat and he said something along the lines of "Bleep bleep my Mom lives here and I don't have a key". I called 911 and two RCMP cars came down to my building and they thought his story was a lie, as I did. They thought he was casing the place. The man was not found. A few weeks later I saw him working on a car in the building's garage and it turns out he was telling the truth.

Russ:)

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

My nocturnal fears are completely unfounded as there is no clear & present danger to my house and family.

But if there was some guy on my roof in the middle of the night I would be brandishing not only my 12-gauge shotgun (which be unloaded since I don't have any shells) but also my 8-piece steak knife set from my kitchen, my pruning shears from my garage and my passive-agressive golden retriever - which I would hope the intruder would mistake as a rabid dog trained to kill on command! Ha!

And, of course, I would be doing all this while dialing 911 from underneath my bed!

It just frustrates me that my brain has such difficulty distinguishing between dreamland & reality as I come into consciousness. Even though I keep repeating, 'It's just a dream, it's just a dream!' I still find myself walking downstairs to make sure the doors are locked!

To me, it's one thing to have this dream once or twice - you might think, "Huh, that was wierd." But this is probably the 9th or 10th time I've had this same dream in the past 5 years or so.

tara said...

I have a reoccuring dream that I am being attacked by a great white shark. I've had the dream as long as I can remember. It still freaks me out and I am deathly afraid of water that is deeper than my knees.
If you find out what triggers reoccuring dreams, let me know!!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I have a dream a reoccuring dreams as well, each one is set in the past and after each dream I am closer to where I am today-in the present. It's crazy but I had someone tell me that I was trying to redo my past and get it to where I am today...in a happy state.

Wade said...

Hey T,

See, I think it's the realistic dreams that we have the most difficulty with.

If I were to dream that we were being attacked by little green men from Mars then I would wake up and think, "OK, no more Dr. Pepper late at night."

But it's the realistic dreams of being attacked by animals or people that are so hard to recover from.

I had a dream not too long ago that I could fly so long as I was holding a stick - stupid, I know. But why can't that be my reoccuring dream?

Wade said...

Hey Suz,

That makes sense.

But that's the other reason why I don't want to know too much about the dreams themselves.

There's a lot of dreamology crap out there that try to interpret your dreams and tell you a lot of bogus stuff. I can only imagine what my reoccuring dreams would mean.

But rather than an interpretation, I'm looking for an explaination of why you have reoccuring dreams in the first place - and realistic scary ones at that!