Sunday, March 04, 2007

QOTW: Got Any Loose Change?

First, let me thank the majority of you who said you'd pick up a coin on the ground.

Ever since I was a child I've never been able to pass by even a penny without picking it up. I've always thought of it as some type of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Even as I pick up an old, dirty coin I think to myself, "Who knows where this thing has been!" (as if a cash register was a sterile environment!)

I remember my Mom telling me to always pocket change I find on the ground since 'even a nickel is a blessing from God.' I guess since then I've always felt subconsciously that walking away from a coin was the same as walking away from a blessing from God.

Since most of you feel the same way I'm not going to worry about it anymore - so thanks!

But has anyone noticed that there aren't as many coins lying around these days? I think it has something to do with the advent of the debit card - nobody uses cash anymore.

When I was in school I saved up money by putting all of my loose change in a vase. It usually took me only a couple months to collect over $50 in coins - which is quite a stash for a college student.

But now, I can't remember the last time I emptied out my vase because I never come home with loose change anymore.

It's probably for the better though - who wants to mess with those nasty coins anyway!
_______________________________________

"You are walking to an important appointment when you see a coin on the ground. You . . ."

Total votes: 15

Pick up the coin: 13 votes, 86%

Do not pick up the coin: 2 votes, 13%

2 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi Wade,

I answered your latest comment on s&t. My Mom always had me pick up change from the ground and encouraged me to collect pop/beer cans and bottles. There are plenty of good uses for loose change. One includes saving up and donating to sports franchises by buying overpriced tickets...NOT. Please see my comments on Texas and the NHL, I am not against it.

Thanks once again! I appreciate your comments.

Russ

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hi Wade,

I answered your latest comment on s&t. My Mom always had me pick up change from the ground and encouraged me to collect pop/beer cans and bottles. There are plenty of good uses for loose change. One includes saving up and donating to sports franchises by buying overpriced tickets...NOT. Please see my comments on Texas and the NHL, I am not against it.

Thanks once again! I appreciate your comments.

Russ