Tuesday, March 20, 2007

In The Service of My Lord

I don't think I've ever mentioned here that I have been serving as a Deacon at my church for the last 2 years.

It has definitely been a lot of fun getting my hands dirty with church stuff like the building search, the website, mergers and non-mergers, VBS, the bulletin (who am I kidding, Kelly did the bulletin), ministry-this & ministry-that, prayer breakfasts, budgets, communion prep, communion thoughts ('Who's got communion thoughts?!?!), announcements, and . . . whew!

Add on top of that Tate, Kelly and my regular 9-5 that sends me all over this blessed state - I thought it was time for a break! So I resigned.

It's really because I only committed to serving for 2 years in the first place. So now is the perfect time to scratch a few obligations off my To-Do List.

I've had quite a bit of difficulty coming up with words to sum up my first stint in church leadership.

As always there are things I should have done differently. Things that I could have done better. And things that I could have just done more of. All in all, I enjoyed being a part of my church's leadership. It wasn't something I asked for but it also wasn't something I planned on turning down had I been asked to serve.

It's not that my attitude has changed - I will continue to serve this church with or without title.

But for now, I need to take a moment to 'be still and know that He is God.'

Kelly and I have very much appreciated all the kind words and understanding we have received from our church family.

It was aboslute joy serving you!

3 comments:

Eric Swayne said...

And I gotta say, having your enthusiasm and commitment and passion be a part of our leadership DEFINITELY blessed VRCC. I can't blame you for wanting to rotate out, but I hope you'll be able to take up that role again in the future.

Thanks for your service!

Jody said...

I will echo Eric's comments. VRCC has been blessed to have you in a leadership role. We all appreciate your (and Kelly's) dedicated service!

Wade said...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your comments!

W