Monday, July 23, 2007

Keep Your Political Banter To Yourself!

There is a receptionist in a doctor's office I call on that is an absolute joy to talk to. Her name is Jenny and you can always count on her being in a cheery mood and giving you a big smile.

Unfortunately, I could tell she was having a difficult day this morning. Her son is serving in Iraq and she hasn't heard from him in almost 2 weeks. Trying to hold herself together, she laughed and joked how "20-year old's never call home."

I could tell that she was just telling herself that to keep from losing it right there in the office. It was one of those moments when I knew I wanted to say something but words were dreadfully failing me.

The opportunity to say something was cut short though by the grand entrance into the office by another woman. Apparently she felt that we were all interested in her because she spoke loudly and made eye-contact with everyone in the room. She announced that she was in a hurry and seeing the Dr wasn't the only thing she had to do today.

Oh, pa-lease!

Jenny kept smiling. I rolled my eyes.

As if she was asked, Mrs. "Time Isn't Standing Still" told us all about how her daughter was about to get married but her son would miss the wedding because he's in the Army.

"I don't understand it! He was an A student in school but decided to join the Army! How stupid is that? Now he's probably going to become cannon-fodder thanks to Mr. Bush's war! All because he wanted to join the Army! It's such a waste!"

At this point I contemplated bouncing my cell phone off her forehead.

Jenny, with a perpetual smile on her face, just winked at me and called off my assault by slightly shaking her head. I reluctantly put my cell phone back in my pocket and resorted to throwing dagger-sharp glares instead.

Who is braver? Those who volunteer to fight in a war or their loved ones who are left behind?

We all have a right to our own opinions about this war. But please keep in mind that there are those among us who face a daily battle between keeping a happy face and collapsing under the weight of fear. So for the sake of those like Jenny, please keep your political banter to yourself . . . especially when you don't know who is listening!

Political Disclaimer: This is not a political blog. Please know that comments laced with political banter about our war will be viewed as having missed the point of this post and will be met with dagger-sharp glares.

3 comments:

Keri said...

AMEN!!!! My BIL is deployed to Iraq for the 5th time since 2002. Tell me how fair it is??? BUT I know with all my heart that although Jerry is missing his daughter's first year of life he is committed to the cause and that alone makes our family supportive. His wife and daughter have to go through the hardship of their husband and daddy being gone. They are making it fine. Missing him like crazy but are fine. The comments about not liking the war or protesting it just makes my SIL feel like what her husband is doing for us all (fighting for our freedom) is going unnoticed in place of political warfare. All military families are brave and need support whether in Iraq or the USA! GREAT POST WADE!!!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Amen!

I may get into trouble if I say more so AMEN...once again!

Wade said...

Hey Suz & Keri,

Consider yourselves having received a heartfelt 'thank you' from Jenny!

W