Sunday, July 15, 2007

Score One For Personal Victories!

I try really hard not to bog down my blog with a bunch of cycling stories.

If you've ever been beaten down by the mind-numbing experience of listening to a golf story then try listening to a cycling story - just ask Kelly!

"I got on my bike and I started pedaling - it was so cool!"

At least in a golf story you can talk about how close you got to making a Hole-In-One or making a 30-foot putt. But what can you say about cycling?

"Then there was this big hill and I had to keep pedaling. But when I got to the top I got to rest while coasting down the otherside. It was great!"

See what I mean?

But I have to stop down for this one because more than just another cycling story, it's a personal victory story. Those are cool, right?

I finally reached a goal I've had ever since I started cycling a couple years ago. I've always wanted to finish a ride averaging 20 mph. Yesterday, I rode 40 miles in Weatherford's Peach Pedal and crossed the finish line in less than 2 hours. My fuzzy math makes that an average of 20 mph!

Yea, Me!

I realize that this pales in comparison to the slightly roided feats of physical accomplishment currently on display in France. And I also realize that Lance Armstrong's records are no more in jeopardy now than they were when I hopped on my bike yesterday morning.

But you know what, I set a goal for myself and I finally reached it. The last time I got close to 20 mph I ended up getting a not-so-free ambulance ride to Dallas Baylor Emergency Room!

But not yesterday!

We've all got goals just waiting to turn into stories of personal victories. I think it's important to celebrate our victories no matter how little they may be. It reminds us that we're capable of doing so much more than we think - particularly if we get God involved!

The best part of a new personal victory is getting to celebrate it. And how did I celebrate 40 miles in 2 hours?

4 words: Blue Bell & Magic Shell!

2 comments:

Keri said...

Blue Bell & Magic Shell sure have been loyal!!! Great accomplishment Wade.

Wade said...

Thanks, Keri!

I recommend BB & MS for anyone who is on a quest to conquer a goal!

TFSB,

W