Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Those Picky Christians!

I had lunch with a nurse yesterday and we started talking about the different places where we have lived.

I mentioned that although I have always lived in the Fort Worth area, I did go to school in Abilene.

RN: "Oh, did you go to ACU?"

Me: "Yeah!"

RN: "I used to work at the Pizza Inn down the street from ACU."

(My social club at ACU used to eat lunch at that Pizza Inn every Tuesday - we would totally take over the place. When she told me that she used to work there, I gulped as I hoped she didn't recognize me as the annoying guy who kept ordering Dr. Pepper refills and complain that the juke box needed something other than just country music!)

RN: "So did you think they were picky?"

Me: "Who?"

RN: "The people at ACU. They're Christians, aren't they?"

Me: "Uh . . . yeah, they're Christians . . . but, what do you mean by 'picky'?"

RN: "You know, telling you what to do all the time and making you go to church. Picky!"

(Has the definition of the word 'picky' changed without me knowing? Is there a memo somewhere that I didn't get?)

Me: "Well, I knew that there would be a strong Christian atmosphere - that's kinda why I went to ACU. I'm a Christian myself."

RN: "Really?"

Me: "Does that surprise you?"

RN: "Yeah, because you're not . . . you know . . ."

Me: "Picky?"

RN: "Yeah!"

Me: "Gee, thanks . . . (I think!)"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like there's a story there somewhere about a Christian who doesn't like olives on their pizza.


The RN was annoyed, she was busy that night at the pizza joint because she had her boyfriend on the phone at the time, and her dad was giving her a hard time about curfew. She wouldn't have time to change into her I'm out on the town at 18 outfit. And she wanted to meet up with her girlfriends but she kept getting a busy signal when she called them from the phone at work.

She knew she'd be late for the movie if they didn't close down the restaurant soon. But that guy in the corner kept asking for more refills of Dr.Pepper. He didn't look like he was leaving anytime soon because there was a pretty blonde girl he was sitting with, smiling and laughing at all his jokes.

So she closed the bathrooms, then threw some hotwings in a pizza box and taped it shut. She ushered most everybody out quickly enough, but had to wait another 5 minutes for her bathroom ploy to work with the guy downing the Dr.Peppers.

The next day she heard from the manager that someone had complained they found olives on an order of hotwings they hadn't ordered. And the guy in the corner had been upset that the Dr.Pepper had gone flat towards the end of the night.

Picky. I get it. Makes perfect sense.

Butch

Wade said...

Dude! How did you know?

Anonymous said...

I didn't see this line at all when I read your blog. Weird. It just didn't exist. Which is why I drifted away into the story...

RN: "You know, telling you what to do all the time and making you go to church. Picky!"