Sunday, July 01, 2007

QOTW: It's A Blog World After All!

Have you ever stopped to think how funny it is to ask someone, "Do you blog?"

You'll get in return one of three responses: A knowing nod, a quizzical look, or a roll of the eyes.

Having previously been one of those who would roll my eyes at such a question, the 180 I've pulled on blogging is quite impressive. But what impressed me most about blogging was that its a great way to catch up (and keep caught up) with friends and family.

But has anyone noticed the certain element of the blog world that makes you feel safe enough to go lurking? We can all play Seven Degrees of Separation with the blogs we read - I came across this person's blog after clicking on a link of another person's blog who commented on my high school friend's blog . . . and now I feel like I know them just like a friend!

Susan recently called out her lurkers. I don't think I'm gonna call anyone out - I'll respect your right to lurk. But to Susan's point, blogging (and leaving comments) many times leads to something very unexpected - blog friends (folks whom you know solely through the blog world). I've got a couple myself - Satire & Theology and Jill.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: If we were told about blogging 10 years ago, most of us would just ask, "Why would you want to do that?"

Funny how that is what my parents ask me today!
________________________________________________________

"How do you blog?"

Total votes: 20

I only read the blogs of a few very close friends: 10% (2 votes)

I enjoy reading many blogs of friends and acquaintances: 20% (4 votes)

I actually have a few blog friends - people you know only through the blogosphere: 45% (9 votes)

I'm a closet blog stalker!: 25% (5 votes)

4 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Hey Wade,

Canada Day was a good one for me here (July 1). I spent part of the day with Canadian and American
(Tennessee, Georgia, and California) friends from church.

A happy July 4th to you and readers!

Blogging has featured mainly good things for me, such as making friends in other parts of the world,
and therefore when I visit places such as Texas, I can look people up and hopefully visit. I have been
impressed with the blog support I have received from Texas. I knew that there were many Christians
there and I appreciate the reading of my blogs and the comments. Blogging also allows me to
promote my work and sharpen my skills. I have actually changed small portions of my PhD
dissertation via the additional blog article research on related topics.

Some may question how safe it is to trust blogger strangers, but the networking factor makes things
safer, as when one observes that multiple bloggers know so and so and they all seem like good
people, humanly speaking, then the risks are actually quite minimal. I also list my church and
University affiliations and so I could be investigated if need be! :)

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

RE: What's on my IPOD!

Suzy Q is my nickname therefore my theme song, I often notice music you have listed and say to myself, 'Ooh I like that, I must buy!" So ITUNES loves you b/c I am giving them more money based on what you have on your I-Pod. Beatles and U2 still my fav's though!

Thanks for not lurking on my blog! Hee! Hee!

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

I guess meeting someone through blogs is kinda like getting introduced to someone in person. If you know and trust your mutual friend then you apt to trust your new acquaintence.

It's weird how safe I feel just jumping around from one blog to another. I don't think I would feel that comfortable just jumping around if we were talking about your standard websites to another - especially if I'm on my work computer. Even with blogs, you can tell pretty quickly if you need to keep moving along.
_____________________________

Hey Suzy Q,

Glad you like my iPod. Too bad I don't have an iPhone to go along with it but I've got better things to spend $500 bucks on! For now, iTunes will just have to be happy with our little song purchases!

Thanks for stopping by (and not lurking),

W

Jennifer said...

I feel like I have been busted. I will confess that I am a closet blog stalker, aka "lurker"!
I am a friend of Keri's (Patiently Waiting for Heaven). I have to admit that I really enjoy reading your blog! So I hope you don't mind that I peep in every once in a while! You have some of the best posts!
God Bless,
~jen