Friday, July 13, 2007

1980's Advertising At Its Best (Part 4)



I'm not sure how I feel about posting on my blog a video of New Kids On The Block. But since I've already posted about Oprah, diaper bags, and Smurfs - I guess I've already crossed that line.

But this NKOTB commercial is too good to leave out. It reminds me of the 1980's theme of excessiveness being a good thing - if a certain amount of something is good, then even more of it will be better!


Thus, if you can make money off of screaming girls at a concert then why not make money off of screaming girls in a toy store?

I personally know someone who was in their target market - at one point in time my sweet wife was a NKOTB die-hard. And what defines a die-hard? Attending (and crying at) 3 NKOTB concerts!

If you listen closely to the video, you can actually hear Kelly screaming in the background, "I'm their #1 fan!"

This commercial proves that merchandising a fad is really great marketing. The only problem here is that they decided to merchandise a boy band with all the wrong stuff!

(Get it? All the wrong stuff!)

The good news is that said-merchandizers decided to spare us all from a NKOTB reunion tour! The bad news is now Kelly no longer has an excuse to wear her favorite concert T-shirt in public!

8 comments:

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

I guess Wade, you should work on getting that NKOTB look down and you may be even more popular at home.;)

My niece liked them I think, and the BackStreet Boys.

Shannon said...

Please tell me that you guys found that shirt at a Good Will and not in Kelly's real closet! Good grief!

Wade said...

Hey Russ,

Ha! My wife definitely has something for the boy bands. She used to refer to Justin Timberlake in NSYNC as her boyfriend - although she says she's over him now!

You suggesting that I should work on getting the boy band look down is really funny. If you knew me personally then you'd know that proudly serve as the alter-ego for all boy bands!
_______________________________

Hey Shannon,

Actually, Kelly knew EXACTLY where it was - in her hope chest! Which is where she keeps her most prized possessions!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Jennifer said...

Wade,

I'll have you know that I too, was in love with New Kids. I didn't go to the extent of crying at their concerts but I did attend one and I was IN LOVE!!! Too funny!

Wade said...

Hey Jennifer,

I remember thinking about the New Kids, "If that's what it takes to be cool then I'm not even gonna bother."

Which explains quite a bit about my younger years!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Wade said...

Hey Jennifer,

I remember thinking about the New Kids, "If that's what it takes to be cool then I'm not even gonna bother."

Which explains quite a bit about my younger years!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I'm from Brazil and love Joe!
I'm a huge NKOTB fan.
If you have myspace try to look for me:Aline McIntyre

Anonymous said...

Hi~
I was searching NKOTB images on the internet.Since I heard about NKOTB reunion, I can't help myself surfing on the web to get my memory of New kids back ^^; I liked your wife's photo with a new kids T-shirt. It reminds me one of mine back in 90s. I feel like to check my closet too ^^
Thanks for posting the NKOTB commercial. I never seen it before (I was born in Korea).

Cheers!!!!!