Friday, July 20, 2007

Wade & Tate's Weekend of Fun!

Yesterday, Kelly hopped on a plane for a much deserved weekend visiting Bert & Paige in Little Rock, Arkansas - so this marks my first significant amount of time alone with the little man!

I'm actually looking forward to our weekend alone (please pray for me!). I'm really not worried (yet!). It should be a lot of fun (did Tate just cough?). This should be great bonding time for us (anyone recommend a good babysitter?).

I'm kidding!

Those who have known of our impending Weekend of Fun have kept asking me what I've got planned. "Oh, a little bit of this - a little bit of that." I've actually been ready to pounce on the first person to refer to my weekend of flying solo as "babysitting".

I'm not one of those Mr. Mom fanatics but it does bother me when people see me with my son and say, "Oh, are you babysitting?"

I'm not the babysitter - I'm the father! It's a sad commentary on our society when people see a father spending time with his son and think of it as only babysitting. It's also demeaning to the hard work Moms have to do day-in, day-out.

So for Day 1, I took a vacation day from work and the little man and I ran a few errands in the morning - during which Tate charmed a salon full of women! What a little flirt he is!

I pulled into Fuddrucker's for lunch because I thought Tate might like their french fries - which would be his first time to eat french fries. No such luck. He just pounded them into mashed potatoes and then tried to eat the napkin instead.

Day 2? If we ask nicely, maybe Grandpa and Mimi will let us come over and swim in their pool!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

It drives me nuts when Brad (teasingly) says he's babysitting Mallory. Holy cow, it gets my blood pressure going everytime...I think I might be getting that way just talking about it. I'll stop.

Anyway. I hope you and Tate have a good weekend of bonding and being a stay at home daddy!

Wade said...

Hey Shannon,

No one actually said anything about babysitting (yet!) so don't get too upset - but I know how you feel!

Great job painting your parents bathroom, by the way! I agree, it looks much brighter now.

Mind if I call you the next time Kelly makes me paint something?

Have a great weekend!

W

Jody said...

Am I the only one concerned about you being in a salon? Men go to barber shops. :-)

Hope you guys had a fun weekend!

Wade said...

Hey J & J,

You know, I remember wondering how it sounded to blog about being in a salon full of women. I should have known you'd be the one to call me out on it!

Well, if you have to know, I wasn't in there to get my hair done - they are next door to some lease space that my dad is considering for expansion . . . and I was there speaking to the owner about her experiences with the leasing company.

There! Ya' happy?!? Hopefully you still think of me as manly kind of guy! Or maybe I should send this in to The Ticket for another Gay-Not Gay!

Ha!

Thanks for stopping by,

W

Unknown said...

Boone and I feel the same way about people referring to what he does as "babysitting." I have several friends who say they will have to ask their husbands to babysit, which just makes me all the more grateful that I have a husband who will watch our son at any time (even if I just want to take a nap) and who actually looks forward to spending alone time with Jackson.

Keri said...

Cameron and I's biggest pet peeve is when I go out of town or am just out by myself people ask who has the kids. Well they have a daddy!!! Yes when for the first time I left out of town (and we just had Gracelyn) my mom came over for a few minutes each day to see if he needed anything but he never did so from then on out he has always had the kids when I take a trip by myself. WHICH IS NOT NEAR ENOUGH!!(shameless plug) :) Anyways babysitting should never be used when pertaining to the dad. He is just as important as mom. And if anyone ever refered to me as babysitting then I would be all over them like white on rice!

Wade said...

Hey Kate,

Who wouldn't want to spend time with a cute little kid like Jackson!
_______________________________

Hey Keri,

Yeah, physical assualt is well justified for anyone who refers a mother's work as babysitting!

I think there were several people who wondered if I was prepared for the weekend and would ask indirect questions like, "Well, what have you got planned?" I just responded as vaguely as I could, "Oh, a little bit of this - a little bit of that!"

Thanks for stopping by,

W